[Interest] Problems porting to Qt5

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 20:22:30 CET 2013

On 04/01/13 15:59, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On sexta-feira, 4 de janeiro de 2013 13.47.13, Marcelo Estanislau Geyer wrote:
>> I have an application that is compiled to Qt4.8.3 and I am interested in
>> porting to Qt5. The problem is that I need to run this system and depend on
>> Kubuntu 11.10/12.04/12.10 of the KDE libraries, particularly KFileDialog.
>> When trying to compile I have the problem of "Can not mix incompatible Qt
>> library." I believe you can not compile for Qt5 if KDE is not recompiled
>> for Qt5, correct?
>
> Correct. You cannot use KFileDialog yet with Qt 5.

I guess that's the downside when the native GUI for a platform is Qt itself.

I suppose we won't see some kind of Qt4Style, like there's a GtkStyle?
KDE4 will be around for a while yet (even after KDE5 comes out), and
this hinders adoption of Qt5 for people who consider KDE important.  I'd
love to make use of some Qt5 features, but it's just not possible.  It's
preferable to stick with Qt4 and have my apps looks good on KDE than
going Qt5 and having the apps look like the odd man out.