[Interest] Problems porting to Qt5

R. Reucher rene.reucher at batcom-it.net
Fri Jan 4 20:37:47 CET 2013

On Friday 04 January 2013 20:22:30 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 04/01/13 15:59, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On sexta-feira, 4 de janeiro de 2013 13.47.13, Marcelo Estanislau Geyer
wrote:
> >> I have an application that is compiled to Qt4.8.3 and I am interested in
> >> porting to Qt5. The problem is that I need to run this system and depend
> >> on Kubuntu 11.10/12.04/12.10 of the KDE libraries, particularly
> >> KFileDialog. When trying to compile I have the problem of "Can not mix
> >> incompatible Qt library." I believe you can not compile for Qt5 if KDE
> >> is not recompiled for Qt5, correct?
> >
> > Correct. You cannot use KFileDialog yet with Qt 5.
>
> I guess that's the downside when the native GUI for a platform is Qt
> itself.
The actual problem here is relying on KDE availability when what you really
want/need is Qt (and nothing else). It's a bad idea anyway IMHO when you want
to create platform independent applications, so I decided early on to never
rely on KDE or anything else of that sort ;).

I know this doesn't really help to solve the problem, but if you need KDE
you'll have to wait for KDE (5) itself being ported and widely spread...
AFAICT, this will be at least a year from now or so.

René