[Interest] Linux OpenGL bug? Driver problem?

Guido Seifert Wargand at gmx.de
Mon Jan 7 23:40:20 CET 2013

Hi,
yesterday I spend the whole day to convert some of my graphic routines into independent threads. Within the threads an image is drawn with opengl into a qglpixbuffer. It almost drove me crazy. Whatever I tried, the threads always crashed my X in a way that all I was able to do was to login from another computer and do a remote reboot. Even with kill -9 I wasn't able to kill the X Server.

Now of course I thought I did something very wrong. Threads are always a grateful source for spectacular code fails. However, I discovered that the glhypnotizer in Qt demos shows exactly the same behaviour. As soon as I add a second thread my machine freezes and I have to shut it down remotely. I doubt that Digia made exactly the same mistake I did.

I suppose it has something to do with my opengl/nvidia drivers. I don't use the nvidia blob, but the open source nouveau driver and mesa. Most likely this combination is not working well. Question is, what to do? File a bug report? I am not sure this is really a Qt bug. But maybe Qt should detect incompatible configurations and give out a warning or refuse to start? Everything is better than just freeze the whole system

Guido