[Interest] Linux OpenGL bug? Driver problem?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 23:59:59 CET 2013

On 08/01/13 00:40, Guido Seifert wrote:
> However, I
> discovered that the glhypnotizer in Qt demos shows exactly the same
> behaviour. As soon as I add a second thread my machine freezes and I
> have to shut it down remotely. I doubt that Digia made exactly the
> same mistake I did.
>
> I suppose it has something to do with my opengl/nvidia drivers. I
> don't use the nvidia blob, but the open source nouveau driver and
> mesa. Most likely this combination is not working well. Question is,
> what to do? File a bug report? I am not sure this is really a Qt bug.

If you get a crash in anything else than the app, it can only be a bug
in the OS stack.  Unprivileged code must not be able to crash the system.

So yes, you should report this to the Nouveau people.

> But maybe Qt should detect incompatible configurations and give out a
> warning or refuse to start? Everything is better than just freeze the
> whole system

This stuff changes too rapidly.  Working around historical bugs that
will never get fixed is one thing, but dealing with them in a bleeding
edge, rapidly changing project like the kernel, X.Org or Nouveau is another.