[Interest] Qt 5 and filesystem

d3fault d3faultdotxbe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 07:30:29 CET 2013

Even though this thread is about QML, I stumbled upon this question
while reading (and noting that iOS doesn't provide a system file
dialog component): What happens when you try to use QFileDialog
(widget) in iOS Qt? I don't own any Apple products so can't test it.
This spurs yet another question: Will Widgets even be supported on the
mobile QPA targets? All the attention goes to QML these days, but
there would need to be work done in order for the "Widgets are still
supported" claim to remain true. "Done" comes to mind.

As for file dialogs in particular, it sounds like Qt needs to provide
it's own for systems that don't support it. Would that generic file
dialog be dependent on QML or on Widgets? We'd need both versions in
order to not make one dependent on the other. <insert generic quip
about QML splitting the development resources>.

Lastly, a decent compromise between Tree View and Bread Crumbs would
be drag-n-drop enabled breadcrumbs, where hovering over the breadcrumb
while holding down the mouse during a drag-n-drop changes to the
folder for dropping into. Xfce's file manager does this, though it
does copy/paste instead of cut/paste.

d3fault