[Interest] Bringing Qt, C++ To The Web

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 16:00:13 CET 2013

On 17/01/13 16:53, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

> 17.01.2013, 18:49, "Nikos Chantziaras" <realnc at gmail.com>:

>>>   Run your 150000 lines of C++ code on server, and write thin web client for it.
>>
>> Too much latency.
>
> But still much faster than downloading/JITting megabytest of JavaScript.

Nope.  Once downloaded, latency is minimal.  Running on the server makes
for an annoying experience throughout.  Imagine playing Super Mario Bros
through server, and your guy only jumps half a second after you press
the button.  It's preferable to wait half a minute for the game to
download and run in your browser than playing immediately on the server
but with a latency that makes the whole thing just crappy.

>>   Also, people don't have servers.  They want to put
>> this on their homepage.
>
> And this homepage is being run on... server!

And?  GMail and Facebook also runs on a server.  Does that means that
people who use email or Facebook should have to configure servers, learn
Unix administration and setup services?  No.  All they know is how to
upload some file and have it appear on their page.

>>   Imagine what would happen if people (= average
>> Joe) were required to setup and run servers just to put an audio clip on
>> their page, for example.
>
> HTML5 <audio> is enough for this goal. No need to compiler media player with
> all codecs to JS.

Common man.  That was just an example.  Instead of "audio clip" read "a
video game" or anything else that requires executing code.