[Interest] Bringing Qt, C++ To The Web

Samuel Rødal samuel.rodal at digia.com
Fri Jan 18 12:41:22 CET 2013

On 01/17/2013 05:00 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 17/01/13 17:51, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

>>> Not when you don't have a server, just dump web-space ;-)
>>>
>>> Google had the right idea with NaCL, but since other browsers don't plan
>>> to support it, we're stuck with JS.
>>
>> 'Stuck' is keyword here, because JS from Emcscripten is not going to run as fast
>> as NaCl or even close to it. However, anyone can implement NaCl for Firefox
>> and other browser via NPAPI plugin.
>
> If the browsers don't come with it out of the box, then people will have
> to download that plugin.  But if they have to download the plugin, then
> they might as well download the native executable application instead.
> The point it to be able to give a URL and have it just work without
> users having to manually download anything.  Pretty much what web
> deployment is about.

No, NaCL provides sand-boxing as well and is thus a very safe
alternative to downloading a native executable. Downloading and
installing a browser plugin tends to be a much more stream-lined process
too.

I guess someone just needs to write a killer application in Qt that is
deployed via a web page and NaCL, and people will switch to Chrome in
order to run it (until other browsers get NaCL support). Since Qt makes
it much easier to write a killer application that shouldn't be too hard? :p

--
Samuel