[Interest] Bringing Qt, C++ To The Web

Jason H scorp1us at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 15:19:10 CET 2013

SOAP with attachments can get quite tricky with it's attachment headers.

No, I meant what I wrote. MIME ditched for JSON. Convert the MIME array of headers to a JSON dictionary. It is more flexible. While no one in the real world has called for it, it would eliminate the need to learn MIME (aside from mime-types). Then you can do cool things like multiplex data streams over a socket, which is what WebSockets are about. The fact that your header can now be a data structure or array thereof would allow you to transmit chunks of data for various files interleaved over the same socket. Currently, codec containers do that for media files. But what if you could control the order of the loading by instructing the servers on how to deliver the files. Like end all at once, or sequential. It would help on large-latency systems, while reducing the number of sockets needed meaning you can serve more clients on the same hardware.

But I digress. You close by pointing out that more people are adopting HTML, JS, and CSS. I'm sure that will continue until someone on some mailing list says "Hey this really sucks and I think we can do better" And then people realize that they have been doing it wrong all this time. Well, a man can hope. I fully don't expect C++ to rule the web again, if it ever did. I do expect for people to say hey, we can accomplish HTML a whole lot better as a JSON structure (I'll call JML) as {'html' : {'body': { 'this is my body.' } } } Which is garenteed to be, in current terms XHTML compliant. It gets even better if we allow limited JS in the JSON, because then you can define a style function i.e. {'html' : {'body': { ApplyStyles('H1,Red','this is my body.') } } } where H1 is defined as {'html' : {'styles' : {'H1: 'font-size': '17pt'}, 'Red' : {'font-color':'#FF0000'} then you can combine the dictionaries. You could also do conditionals and maybe even functions
 as ApplyStyles('H1+Red-RedIfPrinterMediaType()')

The whole web (aside from backend SQL) could be a dialect of JS. If you coded your application right, none of this would matter, because you'd download the latest application library and recompile. We'd be able to rely on linked data better because everything would be XPATH-able. DOM stays, IDs stay, interop (beyond linked data) gets easier. You can still code in Python, C++, etc, your language of the day, and programmers don't have t worry about Tags.

Bringing this discussion back to Qt, there is something that elegantly does this already. QML. Drop the idea that it
is for GPUs and graphics and instead use it to serialize to HTML/JS/CSS (or my JML) and you have your new, 1-technology web, that incidentally can do local apps as well. Is your mind blown yet?