[Interest] Bringing Qt, C++ To The Web

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Fri Jan 18 17:37:16 CET 2013

18.01.2013, 18:24, "Pau Garcia i Quiles" <pgquiles at elpauer.org>:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Jason H <scorp1us at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Bringing this discussion back to Qt, there is something that elegantly does this already. QML. Drop the idea that it
>> is for GPUs and graphics and instead use it to serialize to HTML/JS/CSS (or my JML) and you have your new, 1-technology web, that incidentally can do local apps as well. Is your mind blown yet?
>
> I know Emweb (the company behind Wt) have already done experiments in that direction because Koen and Wim told me last year at FOSDEM. They have also mentioned that in the Wt mailing list. The only difference is they are using something which looks almost like QML but it's pure JavaScript. I would have preferred they'd use QML as-is.

If they used QML, they had to write QML parser in JavaScript, introducing both development/maintenance and run-time overheads. They've chosen straightforward path instead.

If Qt developers used existing general-purpose language allowing declarative constructions, like JavaScript or Lua, instead of "inventing" QML, they would also save development time and could use existing language ecosystem.

--
Regards,
Konstantin