[Interest] Bringing Qt, C++ To The Web

d3fault d3faultdotxbe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 23:48:02 CET 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 7:19 AM, Jason H <scorp1us at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Bringing this discussion back to Qt, there is something that elegantly does
> this already. QML. Drop the idea that it
> is for GPUs and graphics and instead use it to serialize to HTML/JS/CSS (or
> my JML) and you have your new, 1-technology web, that incidentally can do
> local apps as well. Is your mind blown yet?

/r/'ing link to QML -> HTML/JS/CSS conversion library/tool, or are you
only talking hypothetically?

That, as well as seamless translation of user events from "QObject
bindings" to "Wt WApplication slots" (or whatever they'd be called
post-merge), would be the best way for Qt and Wt to merge (a plus
would be progressive enhancement (and/or graceful degradation) to
JS/WebGL commands translation). There's still the issue of resource
sharing (desktop apps are coded for one user at a time, web apps need
to account for many users at a time), but that could maybe/probably be
solved at a lower/db layer.

A single business layer and a single gui codebase to target both
single-user/desktop and multi-user/web sounds like a pipe dream, but
it can be done (hypothetically :-P).

My beef with QML isn't it's potential, it's the stupid overhead
introduced in the current implementation (JS interpreter, in MY C++
framework?) and lack of interoperability because it's just a binding
to the framework, not a core part of it (don't believe me? Look at all
the "expose X to QML" threads created in the past few months).

inb4 raeg,
d3fault