[Interest] can qt.conf be put in a common location?

Stephan Kanthak stylon at gmx.de
Tue Jan 29 10:22:49 CET 2013

On 01/29/2013 06:34 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On segunda-feira, 28 de janeiro de 2013 19.44.18, VStevenP wrote:
>> Is it possible to specify a shared location for qt.conf using an environment
>> variable?
>>
>> It's being a bit of a pain to put a qt.conf file in the app dir for every Qt
>> example installed on my target system.
>>
>> If I could specify a location where the file could be found, I wouldn't have
>> to create a qt.conf for every Qt example I want to run on the target.
> Why do you need a qt.conf in the first place? qt.conf is supposed to be used
> for an application that can be installed to an arbitrary location.
>
> If you're building an entire system, you should simply configure the system
> correctly.
I bumped into the same problem as StevenP a while ago (I think we even
talked about it here already before). As I didn't find a reference to
"configure my system correctly", can you please let us know what the
correct way would be? I also failed to find out how to precompiled paths
for Qt are being determined and they're still set to "wrong" default
locations for me, so that's why I also still stick to configuring my
application via qt.conf. No big deal for me as there is only one, but
others may have more problems.

In my view, the qt.conf mechanism could very well use a QT_CONF
environment variable override just for convenience as it's no big deal
to just check an environment variable prior to looking for qt.conf in
the current directory. That's what I had expected after the need to set
some QT_QPA_... env variables to get things working for the first time.

Best,
Stephan