[Interest] can qt.conf be put in a common location?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jan 30 19:08:18 CET 2013

On quarta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2013 08.49.03, Lincoln Ramsay wrote:
> On 29/01/13 18:29, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > I really don't get what you or Lincoln are talking about. I don't see
> > why building twice is necessary. Just deploy the DLLs that you
> > compiled your application with, alongside a qt.conf file. If you want
> > to avoid a qt.conf file, create an installation procedure that changes
> > the hardcoded paths in the QtCore DLL.
>
> We made it as easy as fixing a few paths in QtCore. We even made it easy
> to find and patch these strings yet we don't patch these strings for you
> when you build Qt.

Patching is only required for the SDK. Single-application installations should
use qt.conf. Multi-application builds should use proper deployment mechanisms
that install Qt globally (like Linux distributions).

> We insist on setting them to the location you told Qt
> to install to. When you're building Qt to be both an SDK and to deploy,
> you really don't want qmake and QtCore to have the same paths in them
> yet that's exactly what we insist on doing.

I don't see what's the problem. For single-application deployments, the libs
that come with the SDK can be deployed, provided a qt.conf is present.

> qt.conf is ok but it's an extra file that must be created by hand and
> put next to each executable.

Right. We could make this procedure automatic on Mac and Windows. On Linux and
other Unix systems, Qt is most often installed globally, so it should default
to the hardcoded paths.

> People outside the Qt project have been battling with these mechanisms
> for years. All they really want is "here is how to do it properly"
> documentation, probably accompanied by a tool to help setting the paths
> correctly.

It's been there for ages: qt.conf. That's documented.