[Interest] can qt.conf be put in a common location?

Lincoln Ramsay a1291762 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 23:49:03 CET 2013

On 29/01/13 18:29, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> I really don't get what you or Lincoln are talking about. I don't see
> why building twice is necessary. Just deploy the DLLs that you
> compiled your application with, alongside a qt.conf file. If you want
> to avoid a qt.conf file, create an installation procedure that changes
> the hardcoded paths in the QtCore DLL.

We made it as easy as fixing a few paths in QtCore. We even made it easy
to find and patch these strings yet we don't patch these strings for you
when you build Qt. We insist on setting them to the location you told Qt
to install to. When you're building Qt to be both an SDK and to deploy,
you really don't want qmake and QtCore to have the same paths in them
yet that's exactly what we insist on doing.

qt.conf is ok but it's an extra file that must be created by hand and
put next to each executable.

People outside the Qt project have been battling with these mechanisms
for years. All they really want is "here is how to do it properly"
documentation, probably accompanied by a tool to help setting the paths
correctly.

--
Link