[Interest] Hiding a shared lib? Linux of course.

Diego Iastrubni diegoiast at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 13:44:40 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 1:06 AM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> The correct solution would have been to completely namespace all symbols in
> Qt 5 and Gtk 3 so that those libraries *can* be loaded into memory at the same
> time as their previous versions without clashing. But it's too late now.

I was thinking something similar a few days ago. This is out of scope
for Qt5... but Qt6.. how about using namespaces to distinguish the Qt
releases?

Qt6::MainWindow w = new Qt6::MainWindow();
w->show();

using namespace Qt6;
MainWindow w = new MainWindow();

This could prevent sush crashes in the future right? The symbol names
will be differently, and in theory crazy people would be able to load
Q5 and Qt6 into the same memory address. yes, we might need to rename
also "a few" public functions... but this is doable, right?