[Interest] Hiding a shared lib? Linux of course.

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jul 4 22:08:45 CEST 2013

On quinta-feira, 4 de julho de 2013 20.09.10, Guido Seifert wrote:
> I don't quite understand. Isn't this what a major version change means?
> Everything is allowed to break?

Yes and no. Everything *is* allowed to break, but we're not going to break
everything. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

> There was a script, which changed Qt3 code to Qt4 code, with a doubtful
> success rate. However, a script, which just slaps a 'using namespace qt6'
> on every source file, should not be much of a problem.

The Qt 3 to 4 change is what taught us not to break everything. Despite the
script, porting code was a painful process. KDE took 3½ years doing it, from
the first Qt 4.0 betas in June 2004 to the actual KDE 4.0 release in Jan 2008
(requiring Qt 4.3 at the time). We had to support Qt 3 for an awfully long
period of time -- 4 years -- after 4.0 was out.

If we decide to do this change, it would have to be analysed very carefully to
understand what the implications and side-effects are. It's quite difficult to
achieve full in-memory compatibility. Just look at how careful the libc++
developers have to be to make it in-memory compatible with libstdc++.