[Interest] Angle needed or not?...

Ruth Ivimey-Cook ruth at ivimey.org
Fri Jul 5 15:38:34 CEST 2013

Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> On 5 July 2013 14:27, Philippe <philwave at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have checked various sources but can't find a clear answer. This is my
>> scenario:
>>
>> 1) My application does not use any of the Open GL classes. Only QPainter is used.
>> 2) My application does not use QtQuick, neither WebKit
>> 3) My application's requirement is Windows 7 or 8, not below
>> 4) My application has a wide user base and I don't want any problem eg. "please update your open GL drivers"
> You should use an OpenGL build. It will produce a smaller "package"
> (due to the fact that you won't have to ship ANGLE libs). You app
> won't notice the difference as it's not using OpenGL at all (directly
> or indirectly).

I am, like Philippe, working on a Win7/8 app: having tried using
QtGLWidget to render a QGraphicsScene I found the loss of rendering
quality far too much to accept. It seemed mostly to do with aliasing and
integer maths resulting in less accurate drawing.

Are there non-QGLWidget ways of drawing that use hardware acceleration?
Are there ways I might have improved my QGLWidget render?

Given that getting OpenGL  > v1.0 on Windows seems to require
non-standard components, are those components usable irrespective of the
graphics card installed? Would I have to provide instructions on
fetching the AMD, Intel or nVidia OpenGL component along with my app?

I would like to support OpenGL as an open alternative to the
now-apparently-moribund DirectX but it does seem DirectX still has
significant advantages.

Regards
Ruth

--