[Interest] Modifying the font metrics ("leading" and "tracking") everywhere

Ruth Ivimey-Cook ruth at ivimey.org
Tue Jul 16 00:35:50 CEST 2013

Atlant Schmidt wrote:

>   I'd appreciate your help and especially an example!

It sounds to me as if your best bet is to create a derived version of
the font file with characteristics better suited to you. The open source
program fontforge is a good starting point for such things, and leading
is a simple thing to change with it.

It might be possible to load the font into memory and modify the
in-memory copy but I doubt very much that this will be quick or easy let
alone portable.

You should be able to use CSS ( Qt style parameters ) to modify line
spacing and so on; such things are bread-and-butter of CSS anyway.
Overall Inter-character spacing changes are a part of CSS3 IIRC and Qt
may not honour such things, though you may be lucky. Modifying kerning
is harder, and probably best left for fontforge.

HTH
Ruth

--
Software Manager&   Engineer