[Interest] What is the "right" way to make a cpu monitor like animation in QML?

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 00:53:02 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to make a CPU monitor like component. At first i was
> considering using QML Canvas because it has everything i need to make
> a CPU monitor like component. Those requirements are:
>
> - Draw a line
> - Everything till that line should be drawn in a semi transparent color
>
> For a static image that works just fine. However, i want to animate
> things and that's not really the job of a canvas element. It doesn't
> look like it should be used for animation (not in QML nor in HTML5).
> That made me wonder, how are we supposed to make something like a cpu
> monitor with animations in QML?
>
> Regards,
> Mark

Hmm, i will just answer myself since i found the solution. It's my
guess that i have to create a new component for this. Using QPainter
would be the easiest way, but using the QSG* classes is probably the
right way. I found a nice tutorial here:
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtquick/scenegraph-customgeometry.html
(which is btw heavily broken.. luckily the example files do still
work). So i'm going down that route and see how that turns out.

Btw, there is also this library: https://gitorious.org/qmlplot/qmlplot
but it's not for Qt5/QtQuick 2.
This is for Qt5 and SceneGraph but fails to compile:
https://github.com/delaitre/plotcomponents

I'm trying to get the sources from that last link to work.