[Interest] building external resources from qmake

Hamish Moffatt hamish at risingsoftware.com
Fri Jun 14 10:09:14 CEST 2013

I've got a bunch of resources required by my app. We've got some of them
statically linked into our application using the QMAKE RESOURCES
variable, which is great because all the individual resource files
become dependencies in the output project file etc.

Now I would like to build more of the sources into external resource
files (.RCC), so that I can load whatever is appropriate to the user
environment and not waste resources.

How can we get those built along with the main app? Ideally with
dependency handling too.

I expect this is partly possible using QMAKE_EXTRA_TARGETS to declare
extra rules to build the RCC files, but I need this to work for make,
Visual Studio and Xcode and I've had trouble declaring additional
targets for some of those platforms. I don't think it will handle
dependencies very smartly either.

Thanks

Hamish