[Interest] TUIO (multi-touch) Input Plugin

Casimiro, Daniel C CIV NUWC NWPT daniel.casimiro at navy.mil
Wed Mar 6 18:19:07 CET 2013

For clarification, I am working with a 27" version of this:

http://www.perceptivepixel.com/products/55-lcd-multi-touch-display

> I think we don't support multi-pointer X, but if you have a big touch table and multiple users, it's a similar scenario.

I don't think that multi-pointer X is the right solution. Did you mean the multi-touch support introduced in XInput 2.2?

>  So I suppose you
> can drag and pinch multiple items at once, but cannot give keyboard focus to multiple items at once, right?

Yes

> Is it possible that xinput 2.2 could work with this hardware, if someone wrote the X driver for it?  Because we already support that kind
> of multi-point touch without any plugins.

Yes, I did look at using XInput 2.2. However, that version does not ship with stock RHEL 6 and perceptive pixel doesn't provide an X driver anyway. I think that the driver approach is feasible, but requires someone to reverse engineer the proprietary USB data stream (coming from the device).

> Can you tell more about your application to use this?

I am experimenting with Qt Quick 2.0 / Multi-Touch for our applications.

Perceptive Pixel (before Microsoft acquired the company) officially supported RHEL, but did not provide the source code. Basically, there is a proprietary service and a proprietary client library. I found their client library a bit cumbersome and I wanted to leverage the multi-touch / gesture features of Qt.

I noticed that the Perceptive Pixel service implemented a TUIO (http://www.tuio.org/?specification) service, so I decided to head down that road. I originally tried using qTUIO (http://qtuio.sirbabyface.net/), but it didn't meet all of my requirements. So, I implemented it myself.

> But maybe the tagged objects are too special, not ordinary touch points.

There isn't anything special about the "finger on glass" touch points, but I'm not sure about the Perceptive Pixel stylus. I think that the Qt API could handle it; maybe the "hover" feature would require something special. By "hover," I mean that the display detects the stylus before it makes contact with the glass (up to one half inch).

~Dan