[Interest] Upgrade to Qt 5 -- pros and cons?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 09:06:03 CET 2013

On 21/03/13 22:41, K. Frank wrote:
> What would be the pros and cons of upgrading from Qt 4 to Qt 5?  In
> particular, are there any good reasons not to do so?

Here, I can't switch to Qt 5 yet, since that results in my applications
looking non-native on KDE (since KDE is based on Qt 4.)  This is a big
no-no for me.

Another deal breaker for me is that Qt 5 seems to have non-native font
rendering in Linux.  Fonts look washed out with lots of gray in them,
compared to the nice, fat black fonts of every other Qt4 and Gtk
application.  This results in Qt 5 apps looking like the odd man out.
Also, rendering of PCF fonts is completely broken and pixel garbage is
rendered around the glyphs.

These are Linux issues though.  If you're not interested in Linux, these
things won't affect you.