[Interest] Upgrade to Qt 5 -- pros and cons?

Alejandro Exojo aexojo at modpow.es
Fri Mar 22 09:28:43 CET 2013

2013/3/21 K. Frank <kfrank29.c at gmail.com>:
> What would be the pros and cons of upgrading from Qt 4 to Qt 5?  In
> particular, are there any good reasons not to do so?

The only compelling reason to not port to Qt5 that I can find is:
"because my app is a fire and forget thing".

The reasons to port, are too compelling:

- Because most likely you will eventually need to port to Qt5.
- Because porting to Qt5 is really easy (many people, including me,
say the required about half an hour, although this depends a lot on
your codebase, of course).
- Because you can keep your codebase compilable with *both* Qt4 and
Qt5 (e.g. Qt Creator is a large application, and it complies with such
feature).

Other reasons depend on what you do for a living. If you plan to
continue using Qt in the next years, is obvious that you will need to
start practicing with Qt5.

If Qt5 is "ready" or not (I've quickly skimmed the possible issues
that people have with ANGLE on Windows) for you, is a moot point,
since you can port slowly when you have some spare time and want to do
something "light" and different, and just test the app with no
pressure, since if you find some problem, you can go back and rebuild
with Qt4.

Have fun with Qt5! I surely had. :-)

--
Alejandro Exojo Piqueras