[Interest] Upgrade to Qt 5 -- pros and cons?

Frank Hemer frank at hemer.org
Fri Mar 22 12:52:11 CET 2013

On Thursday 21 March 2013 16:41:19 K. Frank wrote:
> Hello List!
>
> What would be the pros and cons of upgrading from Qt 4 to Qt 5?  In
> particular, are there any good reasons not to do so?

My particular results of a 'porting test' for a desktop&mobil app (~400k lines
of code) were quite some code adaptions (not all were documented but could be
found somewhere in the doc) and a (currently unfixed) bug in the QSettings.
The latter keeps me from further investigating the port but as a result I
could run the app (full featured) and found some problems with the style which
are caused by the removed styles in qt5.

All in all the effort for porting is much much less than I expected (still
having the pain of qt3->qt4 ports in mind). I expect it to require less than
2d for the plain porting. Now l'll wait for qt5.1 to give it another shot.

Just my 2ct.
Frank