[Interest] Upgrade to Qt 5 -- pros and cons?

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 15:50:38 CET 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM, K. Frank <kfrank29.c at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello List!
>
> What would be the pros and cons of upgrading from Qt 4 to Qt 5?  In
> particular, are there any good reasons not to do so?

My company is in the process of porting our large and complicated desktop
application, which currently supports Mac and Windows, to Qt. We are
currently targeting Qt 4.8, but I have run a few tests in the past month or
two using various builds of Qt 5. So far I have only tested on OSX but I've
found about 5 bugs in Qt 5 that are (for our application) critical and
would prevent us from using Qt 5 even for basic testing. I've reported all
bugs I've found in the Qt bug tracker but it looks like most of the bugs
have not been fixed, even though some were given high priority.
Unfortunately, we don't currently have the manpower or knowledge to
investigate these bugs ourselves and try to fix them.

As others have said, doing the actual port was pretty simple, and after
having done so it's not difficult to continue to use Qt 4.8 with the
application while still being able to compile against Qt 5 for testing
purposes.

Adam