[Interest] Upgrade to Qt 5 -- pros and cons?

K. Frank kfrank29.c at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 14:03:53 CET 2013

Hello Alejandro!

Thank you for the encouragement.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 4:28 AM, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> 2013/3/21 K. Frank <kfrank29.c at gmail.com>:
>> What would be the pros and cons of upgrading from Qt 4 to Qt 5?  In
>> particular, are there any good reasons not to do so?
> The reasons to port, are too compelling:
>
> - Because most likely you will eventually need to port to Qt5.
> - Because porting to Qt5 is really easy (many people, including me,
> say the required about half an hour, although this depends a lot on
> your codebase, of course).
> - Because you can keep your codebase compilable with *both* Qt4 and
> Qt5 (e.g. Qt Creator is a large application, and it complies with such
> feature).

Yes, I agree that at some point I will move to Qt 5, so (assuming that
Qt 5 is reasonably complete and stable) I might as well do so now.

But what are some good functionality reasons to upgrade?  What, on
the desktop, do I get with Qt 5 that I'm not getting now with Qt 4?
(Other than having QThread::sleep be public?)

> Have fun with Qt5! I surely had. :-)

> Alejandro Exojo Piqueras

Thanks.  Although sometimes I feel that I'm already having as
much "fun" programming as I can stand.

K. Frank