[Interest] Upgrade to Qt 5 -- pros and cons?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Mar 22 16:18:11 CET 2013

On sexta-feira, 22 de março de 2013 10.29.21, Josiah Bryan wrote:
> The biggest reason *not *to upgrade to Qt 5 (for me, anyway) is that Qt 5
> SDK won't install on CentOS 5.5 (my primary development workstation - 3
> monitors, 12 GB RAM, etc) and CentOS 5.5 isn't exactly an old distro.
> Here's the results trying to install from a fresh Qt 5 installer download
> just this morning:

> ./qt-linux-opensource-5.0.1-x86-offline.run: /lib/libc.so.6: version
> `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by

This is a complaint that your glibc is older than 2.7. Considering that 2.7
was released on Oct 18, 2007 (the current version at the time was Qt 4.3.3),
your claim that it isn't an old distro is wrong. A distro from 2007 will
probably fail to compile Qt and run Qt applications anyway, due to missing XCB
support.

That said, considering it requires glibc 2.11 and your error in the other
email, the requirements *are* too high. I've already requested that the
installers be built on Debian, not Ubuntu, so we can really track the oldest
available distro.