[Interest] Qwt and upgrading to Qt 5

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Mar 23 17:25:11 CET 2013

On sábado, 23 de março de 2013 15.02.03, Uwe Rathmann wrote:
> > There is no QWS in Qt 5. It's replaced with QPA.
>
> But when comparing QPA/5.0 with QWS/4.8, what does it mean in terms of
> improvement/regression for a user today ?

I think the most important two differences are:

 - QPA supports OpenGL / OpenGL ES properly
 - QPA does not have a built-in server mode.

The first one is the whole raison d'être for QPA. It started as a project to
add proper OpenGL support to QWS, back in 2008, which concluded that the QWS
architecture was too outdated to support it. In turn, the project morphed into
writing a new windowing system port, one with pluggable backends and support
for OpenGL from the start. That was first released in 4.8, but not many people
use QPA in 4.8.

As it was so nice, we decided to drop all other ports and re-write them in
Qt 5.0 using the new architecture :-)

The second point is important if you're deploying an embedded device and you
need to run *multiple* applications sharing the display. When the QPA team
(then known as Lighthouse team) looked into this problem in 2010, they decided
to look for an existing protocol to implement instead of writing their own.
They found one: Wayland.

You may have heard stories about Wayland and whether it's ready for desktop
usage. That's irrelevant... it's ready for embedded use already and has been
for a year. And will have definitely surpassed the old QWS server when the
input method mechanism is integrated into Wayland in the next feature release.