[Interest] Unique - Hardware bound - ID

Konrad Rosenbaum konrad at silmor.de
Thu May 16 09:13:35 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Thursday 16 May 2013 01:14:40 you wrote:
> Some discouragement (from personal experience):
>  - often systems have more then 1 network card and do not guarantee that
> they will return the same MAC addresses even after simple reboot (Windows
> XP as an example) not even counting different configurations.
>  - I am not sure what Qt uses to receive MAC address , but assuming it uses
> native API,  the same MAC address will be returned for any system which
> does not have a network card installed (or have it disabled in current
> configuration)

This call uses the native method to return ALL network interfaces (at least
those supported by drivers). So systems with more than one interface will
return MULTIPLE MACs. Systems without physical interfaces will return only the
virtual interfaces (localhost, teredo, etc.) which usually have no MAC or a
fake MAC (which will change between boots).

> Mentioned above should encourage do not rely solely on MAC address for
> computer identification.

And you should never rely on thos identifying properties to stay absolutely
the same throughout the lifetime of that computer - allow for some changes.

	Konrad