[Interest] Qt Sensors, can it support CPU, GPU and HDD sensors as well?

Thomas McGuire thomas.mcguire at kdab.com
Thu May 16 10:03:15 CEST 2013

Hi Matt,

On Tuesday 14 May 2013 10:54:46 Mark wrote:
> While looking through the Qt Sensors docs i find that to be very much
> focused on mobile device sensors as in phones, tablets and everything
> in between.

Yep, that has indeed between the primary and only use-case for QtSensors so
far.

> However, the ancient old sensors of HDD, GPU and CPU seem
> nowhere to be found.

> Can the Qt Sensor package add support for that?

Adding new sensors is quite possible, adding a QHeatSensor with an associated
sensor backend would certainly be technically feasible.
This could even be done outside of the official QtSensors, as all the API for
that is public (well, except adding new QML types, but then, you can export
the QSensor subclass instance directly to QML as well).

> Is it even suitable to add support for that? I'm asking because even
> the abstract base class "QSensor" [1] is quite focused on mobile
> devices considering the *orientation properties.

Right, I am not sure if these kind of sensors would fit very well. Technically
it would certainly be possible. Maybe Lorn Potter, the maintainer, can answer
about the vision of QtSensors and what type of sensors it should encompass.

Regards,
Thomas
--
Thomas McGuire | thomas.mcguire at kdab.com | Software Engineer
Tel. Germany +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090