[Interest] Qt, ibus and french keyboard

Clément Geiger clement.geiger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 15:33:20 CET 2013

Hi,

One of my user on Ubuntu want to be able to input chinese using IBus. She
also uses a french keyboard.

Here is the problem: when she just want to type french, she can't use the
circumflex accent (^) as we french are used to do: pressing ^ then e gives
ê. Here it ends up being ^e.

I looked around on the internet and found about the QT_IM_MODULE and the
XMODIFIERS environment variables. Sure enough, launching the app with
XMODIFIERS set to an empty string allows to enter ê as expected, but also
completely disable IBus !

I also saw that QT_IM_MODULE was set to xim, whereas GTK_IM_MODULE was set
to ibus. So I tried to launch the app with QT_IM_MODULE=ibus, but that
didnt change anything.

Does anyone have suggestion about that ?

Thanks a bunch !

Clément