[Interest] "Current" guide to deploying Qt applications on OSX

Vadim Peretokin vperetokin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 05:44:10 CET 2013

Hi,

I'm in the process of learning / deploying a Qt application on Mac, and
I've got several questions about the process - since the official "Deploying
an Application on Mac OS
X<http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtdoc/deployment-mac.html>"
guide not quite clear[1].

The documentation for the
macdeployqt<http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtdoc/deployment-mac.html#the-mac-deployment-tool>tool
says "Note: If you want a 3rd party library to be included in your
application bundle, you must copy the library into the bundle manually,
after the bundle is created.". However, in my case, it seems to have
included the 3rd party libraries into the bundle automatically - for
example, my application links to Lua, and when my .app is created, appears.
So whom can I trust - does macdeployqt now properly supports 3rd party
libraries, and the documentation is wrong? Or the documentation is right,
and whatever macdeployqt did, I can't trust yet for mass deployment?

The second question is in regards to the application name when the -dmg
option is used - it is in lowercase when the .dmg file is opened. What is
the kosher way to change it - would just changing the filename of the .app
going in be fine?

Lastly, I've seen customizations on the .dmg window where a custom
background was added. Is this possible to do in harmony with macdeployqt,
or is it accomplished via some other method?

Thanks!

[1] - it seems to be a guide in great need of refactoring, having existed
in its basic form all the way from Qt 3.0 / OSX
10.2<http://doc.qt.digia.com/qq/qq09-mac-deployment.html> with
more and more bits tacked on top; which also since Qt 4.5 essentially says
at the top "ignore 90% of this file, skip down to the bottom 10%".