[Interest] "Current" guide to deploying Qt applications on OSX

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Nov 24 06:58:41 CET 2013

On domingo, 24 de novembro de 2013 14:44:10, Vadim Peretokin wrote:
> The documentation for the
> macdeployqt<http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtdoc/deployment-mac.html#the-m
> ac-deployment-tool>tool says "Note: If you want a 3rd party library to be
> included in your application bundle, you must copy the library into the
> bundle manually, after the bundle is created.". However, in my case, it
> seems to have included the 3rd party libraries into the bundle
> automatically - for example, my application links to Lua, and when my .app
> is created, appears. So whom can I trust - does macdeployqt now properly
> supports 3rd party libraries, and the documentation is wrong? Or the
> documentation is right, and whatever macdeployqt did, I can't trust yet for
> mass deployment?

As far as the Qt public history goes, macdeployqt has always deployed
libraries found by otool. So if your application is running before
macdeployqt, it will deploy the 3rdparty libraries properly. However, if the
libraries are not found, or if macdeployqt is fooled into thinking those
third-party libraries are part of the system, you'll need to deploy them
manually.

> The second question is in regards to the application name when the -dmg
> option is used - it is in lowercase when the .dmg file is opened. What is
> the kosher way to change it - would just changing the filename of the .app
> going in be fine?

I didn't grok that. The name of the .dmg matches the name of the application
here: Capitalised.

> Lastly, I've seen customizations on the .dmg window where a custom
> background was added. Is this possible to do in harmony with macdeployqt,
> or is it accomplished via some other method?

If it's a modification of the bundle, just do it before calling macdeployqt. If
it involves modifying the command to create the dmg, then no. Use macdeployqt
without -dmg and then create the dmg yourself.