[Interest] QML Web Development

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 20:38:17 CET 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Jason H <scorp1us at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So as the release of 5.2 approaches, we get Qt in Win/Lin/OSX and iOS and
> Android, Qt will be fantastic toolkit. A glaring commission now is web
> development.
>
> I've been playing with node.js and since Qt is now dropping the v8 engine
> for a custom one, could Qt use the new engine for QML web apps? For those
> not familiar with nodejs it is a v8-powered javascript engine used for
> making server-side applications.

Which has some custom JS extensions. Once we have a fully extendable
JS engine (see that thread on the dev list, but we're still quite some
way from it), it will be easy to add your own "node" extensions and
run existing node.js libaries with our engine. Until then, you're
stuck with QML or plain JS libraries, when many are written
specifically for node.

> If we were to take that same engine and
> equip it whith HTML/JS widgets, we could use QML to code websites, much in
> the same way Wt is the web version of Qt. However, we (I) would not want to
> split this functionality from Qt itself.

All you need is to write a QML module which generates HTML/JS instead
of pushing pixels to screen. Theoretically, you might even be able to
write a custom QSGRenderer (although that would ruin even the limited
interaction of server-side generated HTML).

PS: Have a look at
https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/www/qmlweb if you haven't
seen it. Maybe not quite the same approach though, it's more
client-side.

--
Alan Alpert