[Interest] use custom fragment shader for Quick2 Image item

Sletta Gunnar Gunnar.Sletta at digia.com
Wed Oct 23 07:39:05 CEST 2013

You can use a ShaderEffect element. It does not use an FBO for plain Image types.

Image {
    id: myImage
    visible: false
}

ShaderEffect {
    property variant source: myImage
    anchors.fill: myImage
    fragmentShader: "
        varying highp vec2 qt_TexCoord0;
        uniform lowp vec4 sampler2D source;
        void main() {
            gl_FragColor = texture2D(source, qt_TexCoord0).rrra;
        }
    "
}

In Qt 5.0 and 5.1 this will use the texture directly without any extra copies. In 5.2 the image's texture might be in an atlas and will currently be copied out of the atlas into its own texture which is then used directly. I want to add some performance hints to the ShaderEffect to avoid the copy-out-of-the-atlas (which is needed for compatibility right now), but I'm not sure those will make 5.2.

The other alternative is to implement a custom material using the QSG API directly. Then you get the best possible performance.

cheers,
Gunnar