[Interest] Run Console and windows screen

Daniel Mota danielmota.producao at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 01:07:03 CEST 2013

Thanks again Frank

I think a picture worth a thousand words...

That's what I am trying to do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siW7koL086E

Just remarking some points:

1) I am running under windows, not Linux
2) My focus is on the screen, I have the algorithm
3) It is not a homework... is a self learning effort, I am a researcher

Could you gimme some directions?

once again, thanks a lot!

Best regards

Daniel

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 8:57 PM, K. Frank <kfrank29.c at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Daniel!
>
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Daniel Mota
> <danielmota.producao at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Frank, thanks for your attention, I tried this already, but with no
> > success...
> >
> > I have the impression that when the form opens, all my code stops, and
> just
> > keep going when I close the form.
>
> I don't have a clear picture of what you are trying to accomplish.
> A little more detail on what you want to have happen and what
> you actually see would be helpful.
>
> Along those lines, when you say that all your "code stops," what
> do you mean?  A Qt gui application is normally event driven.  There's
> a main event loop for the application that handles and dispatches
> mouse clicks, etc. If you open a so-called modal form, the event
> loop, in effect, handles only events for the modal form until it is
> closed.  So a modal form might cause the rest of your gui to "stop."
>
> Also, how does your console come into this?  What are you
> expecting your console to do while your gui app runs?
>
> > Have you ever seen this happening?
>
> I don't know, since I don't really know the details of what you're seeing.
>
> Just to give you some background on how I've used the console:
>
> I have had the main gui thread write to cout (stdout), and such output
> appears in the console.  I _think_ I have had other threads write to
> cout, with the output appearing in the console.  (Two notes:  I don't
> remember for sure whether I have had multiple threads write to the
> console; and, if you do try this, your writes from various threads may
> become intermeshed unless you explicitly synchronize them.)
>
> I have not tried to read from the console, but it wouldn't surprise me
> if that would work.
>
> Again, more detail on what you're trying to accomplish would be
> helpful.
>
> > Thanks
> >
> > Daniel
>

> Best.
>

> K. Frank
>

> > On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM, K. Frank <kfrank29.c at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Daniel!

> >> Yes, it is -- at least on windows.
> >>
> >> If you add CONFIG += console to a regular gui Qt .pro file,
> >> your program will open up a console window (in addition to
> >> displaying its gui) when it starts up.  If you write to cout
> >> (stdout) it will show up in the console.  (I haven't tried reading
> >> from cin from a console attached to a Qt gui app.)
> >>
> >> I've done this with Qt 4.8 on windows.  I don't know about
> >> Qt 5, but I expect that it will work the same.

> >> Good luck.
> >>
> >> K. Frank

M. Sc. Daniel de Oliveira Mota
UFJF / NCA&T
Management Science - Operational Research

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"  Alan Key