[Interest] Run Console and windows screen

K. Frank kfrank29.c at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 04:36:34 CEST 2013

Hi Daniel!

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Daniel Mota
<danielmota.producao at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks again Frank
>
> I think a picture worth a thousand words...
>
> That's what I am trying to do...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siW7koL086E

>From this video it appears that you want just to write to the console.
In my experience this is easy and "just works."

> Just remarking some points:
>
> 1) I am running under windows, not Linux
> 2) My focus is on the screen, I have the algorithm
> 3) It is not a homework... is a self learning effort, I am a researcher
>
> Could you gimme some directions?

In very basic steps I would suggest:

1)  Build a very simple "Hello World" Qt app.  There are some examples
of how to do this in the Qt tutorials and samples.  Don't worry about the
console yet -- just get it working as a regular Qt gui app.

2)  Add to it a button that every time you click it updates a label or
line-edit with something simple like "1", "2", ...

3)  Now add CONFIG += console to your .pro file, and to the code
that responds to the button click and updates the label in the gui
add a write to cout.  Now whenever you click your button not only
should your gui update, but your message to cout should appear
in the console window.

This will illustrate how normal Qt gui apps are event driven (In this
case the events are button clicks.), and how you can write to the
console.

At a fancier level, it wouldn't surprise me if the app in the video you
linked to has one non-gui thread running the optimization, while the
gui thread is responsible for displaying the travelling-salesman paths.
I believe that it would work to have the non-gui thread write to the
console, as I imagine is happening in the video (but as I mentioned
in my previous post that I'm a bit foggy on this point).

> once again, thanks a lot!
>
> Best regards
>
> Daniel

Happy Travelling-Salesman Hacking!