[Interest] [ANN] ODB C++ ORM 2.3.0 released, adds schema evolution support

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu Oct 31 15:17:22 CET 2013

Hi Bob,

Bob Hood <bhood2 at comcast.net> writes:

> Just to kick the hornets' nest:

Yes, indeed. I also don't think Qt folks are particularly interested
in this debate. So I am going to reply to the list once. If you want
to continue this thread, please reply off-list (I will after this
reply).

> [...] the Court of Appeals ruled that a program "must incorporate a
> portion of the copyrighted work in some form" (which I actually do
> agree with).

I haven't read the case/ruling and I am not a lawyer, but think about
it this way: for one platform you linked your program statically to
the library while for the other you linked it dynamically. Now,
according to your reasoning, one is a derivative work while the other
is not. What exactly has changed, conceptually, in your program's
dependence on the functionality provided by the library to give a
different answer in these two cases? You program still depends on
the functionality (and presence) or the library to work, correct?

What perhaps the case refers to is *dynamic loading* of a dynamic
library. For example, if your program provide a "hook" for the user
to load some extra logic (i.e., a plugin) but otherwise does not
depend on the plugin's functionality in any way, then I would agree
this is not a derivative work.

Boris