[Interest] Best choice for android/iOS/Windows/Mac

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 08:55:01 CEST 2013

Am 02.09.2013 um 23:52 schrieb Joseph Crowell <joseph.w.crowell at gmail.com>:

> If you want to go and do the same you're more than welcome to do so but 25% of your code will be wasted on making each ui element look right on each device.

How is that different when using QML/QtQuick? I mean with QWidgets you have Layout Managers (to my understanding from reading sporadically WHATS NEW posts layout management has been added to QML in the meantime, too - but mostly to make QML actually usable on the desktop ;)), so those give you actually a chance to make your layout flexible and  make best use of the available screen space, no?

And wouldn't different resolutions on mobile devices /always/ give you a major headache when you insist on /pixel perfect/ ("hardcoded locations") layout, regardless of the underlying "widget technology"? I mean that's /exactly/ the reason why Apple only offers a very limited variation of screen sizes (if you count Retina/normal resolution as 1, as Retina basically just doubles the width and height, increasing the resolution for graphics/text - but the layout remains the same).

Or how does QML/QtQuick improve things here, when compared to QWidgets/Layout Managers?

Cheers,
  Oliver

P.S. I am in no way saying that QWidgets look and behave nice (or even nicer than QtQuick!) on mobile devices - I am just curious how QML/QtQuick deals (better) with different screen sizes.