[Interest] QPA Project - Vaudeville

Jason H scorp1us at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 13 15:10:48 CEST 2013

See inlined responses

________________________________
 From: Mandeep Sandhu <mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com>
To: Jason H <scorp1us at yahoo.com>
Cc: "interest at qt-project.org" <interest at qt-project.org>
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 12:31 AM
Subject: Re: [Interest] QPA Project - Vaudeville

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 2:53 AM, Jason H <scorp1us at yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello Qters!

>I have switched jobs and I can no longer work on Qt in my "spare time" for the forseable future. I hatched an idea a year ago and some people seemed interested. I'd like to call interested parties to arms and see if we can't get this project finished.
>

>I call it "Vaudeville" because GNOME has called theirs "Broadway". It is a HTML5 renderer that I aim to integrate with QPA. When I started work QPA was still in flux. perhaps there is a QPA person who can take a few hours and force it into the current API?
>

>I also need a web person to help with the browser side. I need to collect browser events and deliver them over a socket to the http server. QPA will then take that event and issue it to the Qt mainloop.
>

>What I do have going is a pixel-perfect QPainter to HTML5 canvas renderer. If you don't understand what the importance of this project is, let me say it bluntly:
>

>You can web-enable any Qt program (v4) with just a recompile against Qt4.8 or 5. I started this work for embedded apps. You can have a remote GUI in a browser and keep the logic on the device.

Thats a neat idea.

Couple of questions:

* How does this thing work, as in how can I invoke a binary from a browser? Is there a webserver involved, which would launch the application when a particular url is accessed?

[Jason] You start a server, which opens a port. The browser connects to the port.

* How do you access the HTML canvas in your QPA plugin? Is it something like how flash renders inside a browser. i.e the browser gives the flash plugin it's window handle, and an area to draw, and then the plugin renders it's contents there?

[Jason] The server has a static HTML document that sets up the client with the canvas and needed javascript.

* Is there a browser (NSAPI) plugin needed for it to work?

[Jason]No, Any HTML5 browser that suppprts the Canvas API will work out of the box.

* Do you have some rough docs/drafts which explain how it works?

[Jason] I think I just explained it. It is really simple. Qt application + Vaudeville QPA plugin runs a HTTP server, which HTML5 browsers connect to.

I'm not a GUI guys, so not sure if I can contribute. Though if there are some non-GUI aspects to it, I could pitch in.

-mandeep