[Interest] QPA Project - Vaudeville

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 06:31:00 CEST 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 2:53 AM, Jason H <scorp1us at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello Qters!
>
> I have switched jobs and I can no longer work on Qt in my "spare time" for
> the forseable future. I hatched an idea a year ago and some people seemed
> interested. I'd like to call interested parties to arms and see if we can't
> get this project finished.
>
> I call it "Vaudeville" because GNOME has called theirs "Broadway". It is a
> HTML5 renderer that I aim to integrate with QPA. When I started work QPA
> was still in flux. perhaps there is a QPA person who can take a few hours
> and force it into the current API?
>
> I also need a web person to help with the browser side. I need to collect
> browser events and deliver them over a socket to the http server. QPA will
> then take that event and issue it to the Qt mainloop.
>
> What I do have going is a pixel-perfect QPainter to HTML5 canvas renderer.
> If you don't understand what the importance of this project is, let me say
> it bluntly:
>
> You can web-enable any Qt program (v4) with just a recompile against Qt4.8
> or 5. I started this work for embedded apps. You can have a remote GUI in a
> browser and keep the logic on the device.

Thats a neat idea.

Couple of questions:

* How does this thing work, as in how can I invoke a binary from a browser?
Is there a webserver involved, which would launch the application when a
particular url is accessed?

* How do you access the HTML canvas in your QPA plugin? Is it something
like how flash renders inside a browser. i.e the browser gives the flash
plugin it's window handle, and an area to draw, and then the plugin renders
it's contents there?

* Is there a browser (NSAPI) plugin needed for it to work?

* Do you have some rough docs/drafts which explain how it works?

I'm not a GUI guys, so not sure if I can contribute. Though if there are
some non-GUI aspects to it, I could pitch in.

-mandeep