[Interest] About usb cameras

Lopes Yoann Yoann.Lopes at digia.com
Tue Sep 17 13:18:17 CEST 2013

On Sep 16, 2013, at 5:46 PM, Jason H wrote:
Can someone tell me how to grab a frame and what is needed to be done to get to the point where I can do image processing easily?

With the C++ API you can use QVideoProbe (http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtmultimedia/qvideoprobe.html). Though, with a camera source, it will currently work only on Linux with the GStreamer backend. The frames can be in any format, including an OpenGL texture, and you'll have to to convert it to a QImage yourself if it's what you want to do.

You can also subclass QAbstractVideoSurface (http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtmultimedia/qabstractvideosurface.html). It will work on all platforms and you will be able to specify the format of the received frames with supportedPixelFormats(). You will also have to take care of showing the frames on screen youself...

Yoann Lopes
Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt
Visit us on: http://qt.digia.com