[Interest] Open QML child window in a plugin for a native (MFC) window applications

Roland Winklmeier roland.m.winklmeier at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 21:07:56 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I'm currently developing for an open source project and we decided to
use Qt libraries.
For the GUI we gave QML a try and I personally like it very much.

Now the question: My application should be able to run standalone (not a
problem) but also as a plugin/addon for a native windows application.
The idea was to open the QML window as a child to the native parent.

I used the method QWindow::fromWinId to get a pointer to the native
parent and tried QQuickWindow::setParent on this pointer. The test QML
file contained a valid Window {} block with red background color and I
expected a new child window. But I got a red block in my native parent
instead and not a child window.

Is there any way, to open a QML based child window as QtWinMigrate did
it with QWidgets?

If you want to have sample code, let me now.

Cheers Roland