[Interest] Semi-OT: Was Nokia net good or bad for Qt?

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Sat Sep 28 12:34:30 CEST 2013

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:20:24 -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> The Qt development team grew
> considerably during the Nokia time (which is a good thing of that time
> too), faster than the commercial business.

The insane growth of the Qt development happened before - in the TrollTech
days. From the outside it looked like the owner had made the decision to
retire and sell the company - a situation, where size is more important
than being profitable.

Finally Nokia was the one who bought it - otherwise it would have been
someone else. IMO the business strategy of Digia today is better for Qt
than Nokia was, but Nokia was better than many other options I was afraid
of.

> We could have completely refactored the widgets and tried to make them
> work on all platforms again. The consequences of that would be:
>  1) a much-delayed Qt 5.0 2) a source-incompatible set of classes ("I
>  have to deal with 2 different
>     platforms")
>  3) a LOT of behaviour incompatibility, plus 4 years worth of fixing
>    regressions (remember Qt 3 to 4, anyone?)

Consider what the majority of the code of a user interface looks like:
creating controls organizing them in layouts and setting up signal/slot
connections. I don't see why this has to be different because of the
scene graph.

If you would have released Qt 4.x versions with all other changes and a
much delayed Qt 5 ( >= 2014 ) with a new graphics system ( offering a
migration path better than a complete rewrite in QML ) - what would have
been the consequence for today:

On the desktop none, as almost everyone sticks to the old system. On
smartphones/tablets - not sure, Qt is not available on the relevant
platforms yet.

I bet there are not too many projects - outside the now dead Nokia
ecosystem - where having the scene graph one year earlier really had
mattered.

And this is where I believe that the ownership of Nokia led into a less
optimal situation.

Uwe