[Interest] Semi-OT: Was Nokia net good or bad for Qt?

Yves Bailly yves.bailly at sescoi.fr
Mon Sep 30 08:52:37 CEST 2013

Le 27/09/2013 20:20, Thiago Macieira a écrit :
> On sexta-feira, 27 de setembro de 2013 13:44:23, Uwe Rathmann wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:13:33 -0400, K. Frank wrote:
>> [...]
>> The existence of 2 different systems is a problem of itself. The
>> development is working on the QML side, while the majority of the user
>> base is doing widgets.
>>
>> For me as an author of a 3rd party lib it means I have to deal with 2
>> different platforms. The opposite of "code once ..." what used to be the
>> mantra of Qt in the TrollTech days.
>
> Because the industry has changed. There's no way the C++ widgets as they have
> been designed will work on the new platforms.

I don't understand here: currently widgets *do work* on at least some of the
"new" platforms, I have some real working apps running on Android phones...
In some cases (many for me), widgets are just the easiest way to go, when parts
of the display is not static and needs to be created on-the-fly at runtime.

Sure some tweakings are needed here and there, because a mobile is not a desktop.
But widgets are working fine :-) despite some shortcomings, mostly related to
the styles and stylesheets management in my case, which are also valid on the
desktop anyway.

Regards,

--
      /- Yves Bailly - Software developer   -\
      \- Sescoi R&D  - http://www.sescoi.fr -/