[Interest] Semi-OT: Was Nokia net good or bad for Qt?

Yves Bailly yves.bailly at sescoi.fr
Mon Sep 30 11:09:32 CEST 2013

Le 30/09/2013 09:54, Thiago Macieira a écrit :
> On segunda-feira, 30 de setembro de 2013 08:52:37, Yves Bailly wrote:
>> Sure some tweakings are needed here and there, because a mobile is not a
>> desktop. But widgets are working fine  despite some shortcomings, mostly
>> related to the styles and stylesheets management in my case, which are also
>> valid on the desktop anyway.
>
> You don't use QComboBox or QSpinBox, do you? Do your QPushButtons go
> unmodified? How well do your QListView/QListWidget work on touch displays? Do
> they scroll nicely?

For QComboBox, they're working not so bad.

For QSpinBox, indeed it's unusual on a mobile device. That said some think they're
not nice either even on desktop, so we're moving away from them anyway.

For QPushButton, they can go "unmodified", although I usually style them (see below).

For QListView/QListWidget, I subclassed them and added code to have them scroll nicely
(or at least not-too-badly), with event filters and the likes. Users are not (yet)
complaining, so it *is* possible.

Now if you talk about QMessageBox and derived... that's a different matter. For now
I'm somewhat cheating by using a QStackedWidget and kinda simulating what a
window manager would do. Far from perfect obviously, but it works.

> Did you design your own QStyle? Or are you heavily modifying the UI with
> stylesheets?

I always start by setting a default style, something like:
QApplication::setStyle("fusion");
...then from there I make heavy use of stylesheets. The goal being to have the
application to look the same everywhere, even if it's not always very
consistent with the current platform. I know this is a bit an opposite choice
of the usual "make application look native on each platform", but it's a
design choice - and I'm not the one making this kind of choices ;-) That said,
maybe that will change in the future, one never knows.

Anyway all of this is an old debate... I understand QML is just fine and what is
needed for a broad range of applications. For those it implies writing much less
code than doing the same in C++/widgets, that is obvious.
But for more complex cases, runtime-build or runtime-changing GUIs, QML just
doesn't fill my needs by a wide margin. Therefore I stay with widgets on the
desktop, for input-oriented applications. Then I reuse them or part of them as
much as possible on mobile platforms, for display-oriented applications.

For now, only widgets provide me  with the flexibility and reusability I need.
But maybe that will change in the future, always keeping an eye on what's going on :-)

"Write once, run anywhere"... :-)

--
      /- Yves Bailly - Software developer   -\
      \- Sescoi R&D  - http://www.sescoi.fr -/