[Interest] iOS Guidlines and QML

Paul Miller stelefx at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 16:01:56 CEST 2013

On 9/30/2013 2:21 AM, raven-worx Software wrote:
> I plan to write an iOS app that downloads a remote QML file which is
> the main part of the app from a remote webserver. As i read the
> Guidlines i stumbled upon the following rule which would interfer with
> that:
>
> "2.7 Apps that download code in any way or form will be rejected"

Odd, considering web-based apps can do exactly that. I use several apps
that must download data from a server before they are usable.

> "2.8 Apps that install or launch other executable code will be rejected"
>
> Since QML can contain JavaScript i would expect that it is also
> considered as "executable code"?

This definitely isn't true, since many games have embedded scripting
systems such as Lua. They seriously back-pedaled on this one after the
huge out-cry from game developers. There is even a full-featured Python
interpreter app in the store right now.

You shouldn't worry too much about this.