[Interest] Licensing Questions

Tomasz Siekierda sierdzio at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 13:08:38 CEST 2014

On 2 April 2014 12:55, alfa <alfarobi0161 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Sarah,
>
> If I understand it correctly regarding the licensing issue, you may want to
> use LGPL(as opposed to GPL), that does not require you to release the source
> code, however, perhaps somebody who are more experienced than me can explain
> on this, because I'm also interested in knowing this issue and any possible
> solutions.
>
> -alfa-
> On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:47 PM, sarah jones <qtsarah at outlook.com>
> wrote:
> Hi
> I team and I are planning to release our desktop application that is
> dynamically linked to the Qt library.
> As I understand it this means that, if requested by a customer, I must make
> the source code for Qt available.
> In addition I must make the  object code or source code for the application
> available to a customer on request.
>
> Has anyone any experience in this area ?
> Are my understandings correct?
> Are there any obligations on us if using the LPGL?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sarah

Sarah, as far as I know your findings are correct. With GPLv3, you
need to provide source code of your application when requested. You do
not need to publish the code globally, only your customers can make
the request.

If you choose LGPL, there is no obligation on you to provide the
source code of your application (you still need to provide source code
of Qt, and inform customers that Qt is being used). Some minimal
changes to Qt itself are permitted under Qt license exception.

And if you buy the commercial license from Digia, you are free to do
almost anything ;-)

In all 3 scenarios you can charge money for the distribution of your
application.

Have a good day,
sierdzio