[Interest] Qt 5.2.1 Mac keyboard shortcut problems

Jim Prouty jim at wavemetrics.com
Thu Apr 3 00:14:57 CEST 2014

On Apr 2, 2014, at 12:30 PM, Till Oliver Knoll <till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 02.04.2014 um 21:12 schrieb Paul Miller <paul at fxtech.com>:
>
>> On 4/2/2014 1:46 PM, maitai at virtual-winds.org wrote:
>>>
>>> If I remember well under mac/os you have to press the <fn> key (whatever
>>> apple calls it) together with the hot-key to get it works under qt5.x
>>
>> So you're saying keyboard shortcuts in the menubar must start with the
>> Cmd key?
>
> So you're saying that you have keyboard shortcuts in the menubar which don't start with the Cmd (btw: != Fn = Function key)? ;)
>
> I have never seen such a thing, on any platform (I /have/ seen applications such as Blender that use all sorts of weird shortcuts, depending on the "edit mode" etc. - I am just saying that I have never seen *menu* shortcuts consisting of a single letter, e.g. just S instead of CMD + S for save).

Then you have not used Adobe Lightroom.

It uses many command-less shortcuts. T changes the tools, D switches to the develop module, G switches to the Library Grid view, etc:

	http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS18e2013dd74eab5fe275e2711d1b186fe9-8000.html

> I don't have the answer, but I could imagine that this is a "Mac thing" not to allow this. Refer to the Apple Human Interface Design guidelines.

It is not a “Mac thing”. It is specifically allowed by the Cocoa API (where they’re called “key equivalents”).

There are provisions in Qt for command-less and control-less shortcuts.

See QShortcutEvent’s “Standard Shortcuts” section where the Mac OS X shortcut for Refresh is F5.

	http://qt-project.org/doc/qt/qkeysequence.html

Jim "How does it work?" Prouty

Voice: (503) 620-3001, FAX: (503) 620-6754
Makers of IGOR Pro, scientific data analysis and graphing for Mac and PC
http://www.wavemetrics.com