[Interest] Creating a video feed or overlay

Josiah Bryan josiahbryan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 17:27:45 CEST 2014

Lopes -

I did a lot of live video work using Qt in a project I have on Google code:
https://code.google.com/p/livepro/

I havn't tried it with Qt 5+, but it was all with Qt 4.8.

Let me know if you have any questions on that if you actually do look at
any of the code.

Thanks!
-Josiah

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 6:52 AM, Lopes Yoann <Yoann.Lopes at digia.com> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2014, at 7:41 PM, Tom Isaacson wrote:
>
> > I'm working on an app that reads data from a sensor then displays it on
> a graph using qwt. This part is working fine but what we want to do now is
> create a video feed of the graph that can be displayed in other apps. We'd
> also like to add the graph as an overlay to a video feed from a camera. Is
> either of these possible in Qt, and if so where do I start?
>

> Qt is probably not the best solution to do this. You could get the raw
> video frames from the camera (using QCamera and
> QVideoProbe/QAbstractVideoSurface); if the frame is in RGB, you could
> easily convert it to a QImage and then use QPainter to draw the graph over
> it. From there you'll have to find another solution to set up a live feed
> from these frames, since Qt Multimedia doesn't provide any API to encode
> and stream video.
>
> Using GStreamer directly (we use it as backend on Linux) would probably be
> a better choice.
>
> However, for the app displaying the video feed, Qt is a perfect fit.
> QMediaPlayer or the QML MediaPlayer accept any URL.
>
> --
> Yoann Lopes

Josiah Bryan
765-215-0511