[Interest] aboutQt (Qt 4.8) dialog lacks vital information -> people relying on it violate license terms(?)

Jonas Thiem jonasthiem at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 6 01:05:23 CEST 2014

Small additional note:

I'm assuming the users want to use Qt with LGPL licensing.

But even with the GPL licensing alternative, I believe the dialog would
also be insufficient since it would need to point to the GPL license
instead.

And even for commercial licensing it is also insufficient I believe,
since I doubt Qt has commercial licensing rights for the Apple or
FreeType code with simply dropping the need for the required copyright
notices in the final application.

So in the end, it simply doesn't appear to be working for anyone and
people would be better off researching their own about dialog contents
no matter what license. (given I'm not mistaken with most of my
admittedly unqualified guesses about its possible legal issues)

And that's a bit sad. It would be awesome if Qt could do better than that!

A legally qualified person should look into the possibility of simply
adding all missing copyright and license info as summed up in my
previous mail, also the full GPL and LGPL license text e.g. as buttons
to open it up. This would fix the dialog for everyone I guess (but
again, this needs proper legal review and not my unqualified rambling).

Regards,
Jonas Thiem